Monday, June 10, 2013

Melinda's Birth Story



May 30, 2013

I planned to go visit my dear friend, Dannii, in the afternoon before my 37 weeks check up appointment at 4:00pm. I got a call from my doctor telling me my appointment needed to be pushed to 5:30pm because she had to deliver a baby so I decided to wait for Jonathan to come home from school and go to Dannii's with me so I wouldn't have to go alone. Jonathan got home and we left for Dannii's. We spent some time at Dannii's and joked about how funny it would be if my doctor told me I would have to have my baby today.

We left for the hospital and had to wait for another hour cause my doctor still was in the OR. We got in her office and she saw my stomach and asked if I was having contractions because it seemed pretty hard. I told her 'Yes! Just Braxton Hicks. I've been having them lately.' She decided to perform pelvic examination first before doing ultrasound. Right when she put her finger in she sighed and then said 'What is with you people?! Why is everyone giving birth today?! You are 3 cm. dilated. You are having your baby tonight . . . or tomorrow.' Hmm. . .what?! It took us awhile to register the news.

I was admitted and sent to delivery room. The contractions were still mild after 4 and a half hours my doctor checked me again and I was just 4 cm. dilated so she sent me to my room in the ward. 



Delivery room first attempt! 



I couldn't get any sleep. I wondered how long it's gonna take until I get to see my baby. The contractions were getting milder and milder and even stopped at one point. It was very discouraging. I didn't wanna be sent home without the baby in the morning. I looked up online on how to speed up labor and stuff. Jonathan even gave me some foot massage that's supposed to help with labor. I prayed and prayed. I never prayed so much in my life like that before. I really wanted to see my sweet Melinda.

May 31, 2013


6 o'clock in the morning the nurse came in to check on me and my contractions were still mild. I thought for sure I would be sent home. It was just too much to handle at the moment. I started to pray again and again. 7 o'clock I took a shower and then had my breakfast. Jonathan and I said our prayer together asking for comfort and courage. Right after the prayer was done I started to feel my contractions again and they weren't so mild! I was sent back to the delivery room.

My doctor came in and checked me out again. By 8:30 am I was still at 4 cm. dilated but my contractions started to get pretty strong. 8:45am my water B R O K E and oh my! I could finally breathe while lying on my back!! 

My contractions started to get stronger and stronger. The nurse said Meli should be here in the afternoon. Jonathan was right there by my side the whole time. At noon my doctor checked on me again and I was only 5 cm. dilated. It was really frustrating! I was really upset cause I knew it mean I could have to been in labor for another 5 hours or so. 

The nurse came in to make sure I still wanna do this without epidural like I told her earlier. I stayed strong and confirmed my will to do this natural. Truth be told, they kept saying that she could also be here anytime and epidural would cost over $320 for 2 hours. It was hard to set my head straight due to the pain and everything but above all I knew I just want my baby to be here already.

The pain was getting worse, really bad that I might have yell at the sweet and amazing Jonathan for couple times. I started to moan . . . and moan a lot. I remembered asking Jonathan and every nurse that came in when I can start pushing even though it didn't really feel like pushing yet but I was just in so much pain. 

1 pm. my doctor came in and checked me again and she exclaimed with excitement that I was all the way opened and should start pushing now when I feel the contractions. The dynamic of the room changed all of sudden. Everyone was running around preparing stuff. Jonathan started to tell me to push and I started to feel she was coming. 

I pushed and pushed for almost half hour. It really hurt but I could feel that I was so close to see my baby. I kept repeating in my mind while pushing 'Come on Melinda! We can do this!!' over and over. Then Jonathan exclaimed 'Mink! Keep pushing!! I can see her head!! She has HAIR!!!' I pushed one more and I felt her head coming out of me. Jonathan kept cheering me on. It was already tiring but I knew I couldn't stop. I pushed more and I felt her shoulders. That really hurt!! I remembered yelling 'oh gosh it hurts!!' with that push then I pushed more and I could feel the rest of her body coming out. It felt like pushing a sack of oranges. Then I heard Jonathan said 'Mink, she is here. Melinda is here.' (yes, he cried!)

They put her on my stomach while cleaning her. I remembered the first time seeing my daughter. She was white and has the brightest small lips and she looked right at me. 



When I first saw my Melinda.



They took her out for cleaning up more and measuring and stuff. Nothing really hurt after that even I was torn and had to have some stitches. I was waiting for them to bring in my baby.

Jonathan walked in with Melinda in his arm. I got to hold my baby girl for the first time. It felt like I already knew her although I still couldn't wrap my head around that she really is mine. My beautiful 6 pounds 8 ounces baby girl.  

We took couple pictures together and Jonathan left with the pediatrician and nurse to take Melinda to the nursery. I was laying down in the delivery room still while my doctor giving me stitches and complimenting me at how good I was at doing this all natural and even for the first time. She and the nurses also couldn't stop telling me how beautiful my daughter was and how she looked just like her daddy. My doctor also said that if I carried full term 40 weeks she wouldn't let me give birth natural. Apparently Meli was pretty big considering being born at 37 weeks. 


First time holding my baby girl.

First 'FAMILY' photo! =)

Melinda - less than an hour old in nursery.

Isn't she lovely? Ah, my heart is melt!!

Half an hour gone by and Jonathan came back to delivery room. I had to stay there for another 2 hours. It was really difficult cause I really wanted to go to my room and I want to spend more time with my baby. The nurses told me to try to get some rest; I wondered if they understood that I just had a baby!! 

4 pm they finally moved me up to my room in the other bed. My parents were already there in the room (surprise!). Couple minute later the nurse from nursery brought in my sweet little girl. I got a chance to hold her again. She was even more beautiful than I first held her . . . and looked even more like Jonathan. 


Second time holding my Melinda. 

Proud Daddy!! 

1 comment:

  1. loveee her!!!! she is such a cute newborn, so many features and all!!! love her and you both!!! i can't wait to meet little minky!

    ReplyDelete